- Date of Birth – 09-02-1955
- Qualifications – M.Sc. P.Sc. L.L.B.
- Profession – Army, Lawyer, Politician
- Father – Sitaram Sawant (MLA-1957-71)
- Renowned Educationalist
- Political Affilations – PWP & JD
Political Background :
- Resigned from Congress and as MLC, Maharashtra on grounds that Congress is corrupt political party
- Always launched war on Corruption & Criminalization
- Floated Sanvidhan Morcha, Federation to save Indian Constitution
After April 1991 :
- Left Army to join politics after the request from late Rajiv Gandhi
- Become MP (Rajapur) – 1991-1996. Seat won by Conress after 1952.
- First MP to be elected as Secretary of Parliamentary Party in First Term.
- Special invitee to the Congress Working Committee (CWC) 1994-96.
- Secretary AICC (Independent charge) 1998–1999.
- MLC till 2008
- Graduate from Defense Services Staff College.
- Commando Instructor 1982–1984 (3 years)
- Field Service In J&K & Siachen – 1987
- Military Intelligence 1988–1991
- Re-commissioned in Army part time in 1993
- Retired as Brigadier rank in 2014
Service after 1991
- Secured Surrender of Terrorist group in 1995 & Raised demand for Surrendered Terrorist in army, Successful absorption of surrendered terrorist in army in 2003, formed an army of 8th battalion i.e. 8000 soldiers and finish terrorism in Kashmir.
- In face of election in 1998 joined Kargil operations – Operation parakram
- Editor of magazine Farmers and Parliament
- Written several articles for newspapers & magazines on Terrorism, Nuclear Warfare, National Security etc.
- Writing a book on Narco Terrorism which includes chapters on Legal provision, Money Laundering, International Co-operation to root out the scourge of drug trafficking and terrorism.
NGO’s and Institutions:
- Founder Chairman – Forum for Strategic Studies. Founded a think tank in Delhi which examines National security and internal security issues.
- Founder Chairman –Krishi Vidyan Kendra, Cha. Shivaji Maharaj Agriculture College & Business Management College Sindhudurg. Chairman of Agriculture Trust, SZKP. Launched movement of direct marketing by farmers – Organized Mango Festival in Mumbai. College first in Maharashtra for last 4 successive years.
- Chairman, Maharashtra Night High School, Mumbai (90% S.C. Students) – School is the largest night school in India. Consists of mainly dropouts from slums
- Executive Director – Farmers Parliamentary Forum, New Delhi. Founded by late S.K Patil 1965. Represents farmers in Parliament.
- Director – Ayurvedic College, Sawantwadi.
- Founder – Sainik School and Colonels Academy of Adventure Sports Amboli (Hill Station)
- Founder of Ex- Servicemen Co-operative Credit Society, Sindhudurg in 1991, it is the premier society which is graded as class A (15 branches, Rs. 50 crores turn over)
- Founder of the first ever Sindhudurg Zilla Paryatak (Tourist) Sahakari Sanstha. First society in India .Took over MTDC resort at Tarkarli converted the loss making Unit into profit.
- Founder Chairman – Tourism Co-operative Concept of bringing people together;staying in each others home. Successfully run the first ever facilitation center for passengers at New Delhi IGI airport.
- Founder- Mumbai Festival and Foundation
- Regular lectures to various institutions in US & Europe mainly on terrorism, international security, Antidrug movement.
- Interaction with FBI in US, Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)US, Customs UK, Police UK.
- Talk to National Defence University – Pentagon.
- N. Preparatory Conference on Extension of Non Proliferation Treaty. Represented parliamentarians of the world in the conference. Indian Government was not a party to the treaty hence, the only Indian at the conference.
- Participated in World Population Preparatory Conference at UN New York on behalf of parliamentarians .
- Participated several times on UN Drug Control Program (UNDCP).
- Delegate to Italy political party PDS National convention.
- Led Congress party delegation to China met President Jiang Zemin.
- Collaboration with agriculture university of Madrid with our college.
- Organised and participated in program break the siege of gaza. Took relief to gaza.
CULTURE – India & Abroad
- Organised Goa Carnival in 1997. A cultural Festival in Goa.
- Organised Indian Cultural presentation in Chamonix France.
- Organised Indian Cultural Group to include classical and folk artists and crafts in Edinburgh Festival annually from 2000 to date.
- Organised Indian Cultural Group show in Ireland 2001&2002.
- Mango Festival Mumbai annually from 2002 to date.
- Organised Mumbai Festival From January 2004 an annual event.
Corporate And Others :
- Convener – High powered Government Committee on Narco terrorism Govt of India 1993-1997
- Murari Committee on Fisheries.
- Many committees in Maharashtra dealing with Home, Agriculture, Education etc.
- Now Member, Regional Committee ICCR.
- Chairman, Sawant Dynamics Pvt Ltd (Consultancy Company)
- Director, INSPA, Company in Madrid.
Read more about his contributions in Military, Education & Social, Agricultural fields